Do You Know?
Risky Behavior Facts
"Alcohol can alter [brain] development, potentially affecting both brain structure and function. This may cause cognitive or learning problems and/or make the brain more prone to alcohol dependence. This is especially a risk when people start drinking young and drink heavily."
The brain hippocampus can be 10% smaller in underage drinkers."
"... supplying alcohol to minors actually increases, rather than decreases the risk for continued drinking in the teenage years and leads to subsequent problem drinking later in life."
"... teens who perceive their parents to be more permissive about alcohol use are MORE likely to abuse alcohol and to use other drugs."
"Youth who start drinking before age 15 years are six times more likely to develop alcohol dependence or abuse later in life than those who begin drinking at or after age 21 years."
"A majority of sexual assaults are alcohol-related."
"On average, underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult drinkers."
"Today’s marijuana is 3-5 times MORE potent than the marijuana of the ‘60s, ‘70s and into the ‘80s."
"Marijuana impairs short-term memory, concentration, attention span, and problem solving [ability]."
"Can reduce IQ by 4-6 points."
"Teens that use marijuana daily before age 17 are more than 60% less likely to get their high school diploma than those who’ve never used pot."
"... the majority of high school seniors do not think regular marijuana smoking is harmful."
"Kids who bully are more likely to:
* Abuse alcohol and other drugs in adolescence and as adults
* Get into fights, vandalize property, and drop out of school
* Engage in early sexual activity
* Have criminal convictions and traffic citations as adults
* Be abusive toward their romantic partners, spouses, or children as adults"
"Kids who witness bullying are more likely to:
* Have increased use of tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs
* Have increased mental health problems, including depression and anxiety
* Miss or skip school"